Monday, September 28, 2009

A Changing World

September 28, 2009
Well, my vacation is winding down, by this time next week I will be homeless in a new town finding my way through a new set of services and into a new population. The visit home has been a good one, spending as much time as possible with friends and family. I felt it would be nice if I updated you on some of the wonderful moments I have enjoyed.
First my oldest daughter, George is really enjoying her photography business (www.georgemetzler.com), she has another wedding next weekend. My son James is back at college, not as enthusiastic as his sister Margaret is about studying. My adopted boy Ronnie has been able to stay sober and off the street since July 28th... His new baby is here and he is trying to get accepted into a trades program.
Now to seeing my friends, I have been very lucky, both night shift crews have had "parties" since I returned and by attending those I have been able to catch up with many of my former coworkers. I have visited the DI during the morning and afternoon shifts to see staff and remaining client. But many of my client/friends have move out.
I was able to have lunch with my friend Lone Wolf Bunn last week. You will find a page of his work in the poetry section. Also I am very pleased to say he is once again blogging on his website the wolf den http://www.helendagner.com/viewforum.php?f=19 . He is an activist, he post some very interesting articles. Take a look when you have a moment.
On the day of the Homeless Connect 6, I ran into two ladies whom I knew from working Ladies 3rd at the DI. They are both recovered, and devoting themselves to lobbing for better services for women in the shelter system. In our brief conversation I gathered they want to see a small version of the DI. Transitional, transient and intox accommodations under one roof, for women only. Likely the model includes the same supportive services for, education, employment and counselling. I'm proud of both these ladies.
On my walk downtown in the middle of the night (coming back from Randy's crew party) a voice called to me from across the street. It was Pat, she was an addict and a client at the DI since long before I started working there. Pat stopped using a few months before I left town... she has been able to sustain for almost 7 months. She currently is out of the shelter system and in transitional housing, she will have her own place again by December. Keeping it will be a matter of economics... and I'll always keep praying for her.
Those are the good news stories but there are still many client/friends who are right where I left them; content to move from day to day, secure in the knowledge they will neither starve nor freeze. This is the paradox of the shelter system are we aiding or enabling... Is there another (better) way to do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment