Saturday, August 21, 2010

off the bus

To paraphrase Blanche Dubois..."I have come to rely on the kindness of strangers". Thanks to the good people at the United Church, I was able to cover the rest of the price of a bus ticket to leave Halifax. Now I am in a new situation... in very many ways. Because of the financial crisis, Angels of the Road is taking a sabbatical while I go back to paid employment. Not a minute too soon for my sanity also, I might add. I find that I am suffering from burnout, something which never happened in the 4 years I was at the DI... even during holidays and days off I would often drop by to spend time with my client friends. Now all I want is some peace and quiet. I have been in this shelter a little more then one day and I have started retreating to my room.
I definitely need to step over to the other side of the fence again for a while. I look at this time-out as a good chance for an interim check-up to see if what I have learned has any practical application to my work in the shelter industry. Has this experience made me a better social worker? I'll keep you posted on that LOL.
What is really exciting for me, is that Ottawa is the first time I have been completely open about my location. At every shelter and drop-in I visit, I talk with staff about my previous experiences in the field and on the road; as well as my present intentions to work in Ottawa this winter. Until the cold weather sets in the chances of landing work are slight, so I will probably have to work at McDonald's or Timmy's between now and then. You are probably thinking, "why not try another town?", but really this time of year is slow in our industry everywhere.
What brought me to Ottawa, was a job-posting by a local agency who's director is someone I greatly admire. I won't elaborate just yet, I don't want to jinx it LOL. But after visiting there a few times this week, I can tell you I already like the staff and clients in that place. Hope it works out...keep your fingers crossed.
If you haven't read it yet, we have a comment on the post "All that and Alligators too" which ran in July. Consider it an open question ... all suggestions are welcome ;-)
Anyway must get off the computer so wishing you all a joyous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment