Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New You.

           New Year like no other time, prompts us to self examination. We look at our life to date and ask what would we change… more importantly what can we change. How do we proceed to become a better person? Last month my discussion group was talking about self-love (sadly lacking for so many), one of the ladies suggested that to love oneself would necessarily exclude any desire to change or grow. I, for one, love myself and have for as far back as I can remember. One of the things I love best about me, is my insatiable thirst for knowledge; academic (book smarts as granny would call it) or experiential (street/life smarts, also granny). So I like most of you am taking an annual inventory of my life and I will make a list of all of the things I would change. What about myself or my life should I hold on to and what should I get rid of and what should I add to make me and my life better.  

It is important when making such lists to remember the prayer of serenity…
                   God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
                   Courage to change the things I can and the
                   Wisdom to know the difference.


          I cannot effect the world beyond my touch, so an end to war, hunger, greed, fear and violence… are not topping my “to do” list. But I will do what I can, when I can in any given moment, to act against social injustice and poverty. There are so many important causes, I urge everyone to find one that speaks to your heart and do whatever you can to help forward their agenda. Trust me you will definitely grow from the experience ;-)
         That part of myself that believes in honour, humour & humanity…is irrefutably me and that will not change over time. No matter where I live or what is going on in my world I can’t imagine anything more important to my spirit than to be of service to others.
          So, for me I will hold onto my job with my wonderful little family… in spite of the early hours and modest pay, these people are such a joy to have in my life. Then there is my social work… (don’t get to spend as much time as I would like to) but that definitely stays. I want to volunteer more… it is so sporadic just now because my days off work are more often than not Tuesday & Thursday when Mission Services food-bank is closed. Perhaps I should find a similar position elsewhere on those Tuesdays & Thursdays, so I can volunteer somewhere at least once a week.  
        The one thing I want to add to my life is structure… I feel at loose end a lot of the time, kind of drifting from one day to the next. I work a few days a week and never know which will be my day off. As I say this perhaps, my schedule will have to be more of a checklist of things to be done in any given week. That would give me some structure with the flexibility to work around my job.
         So what are my New Year’s Resolutions
                                           1: Aquafit 2X weekly
                                           2: Volunteer 1X (minimum)
                                           3: Cook a full meal 1X weekly
                                           4: Take a class 1X weekly
                                           5: Write a blog 1X weekly
                                           6: Call an old friend 1X weekly
                                           7: Pottery / Paint 3X weekly

Wow I feel way better now that I’ve had a chance to sort that out… it doesn’t seem insurmountable …right? Lol. Have a 2012 filled with joy, peace & much love …    

No comments:

Post a Comment