Wednesday, February 24, 2010

New Friends and Dead Fish

February 23, 2010

On Friday I will be having lunch with Wayne and Jesus Jamie … apparently Jesus Jamie has a very special recipe for salmon that is to die for. They have been living at tent city, which until recently has enjoyed very nice weather, hope it returns by Friday. Wayne is a middle-aged gentleman who was staying in the same shelter with me earlier this month. A bit short tempered with staff but generally pleasant with the rest of us. He did not appreciate their efforts to help him with a plan of action (accessing resources to income support and housing). It is a delicate balance, presenting the right help at the right time. It is not enough to have the resources; you have to have a willing recipient… In social work we are always struggling with the question of where aide ends and enabling begins. Wayne is an interesting guy (old for his years) very in the know about the city and the streets. He was so happy to run into me because he was certain Jesus and I were, meant to meet.
A couple of years ago I would have thought anyone introducing themselves as Jesus was in serious need of an adjustment to their medication. Now I reserve judgment on such matters. Jesus Jamie actually has a very clear grasp of spiritualism and interprets it through Christian symbolism. Jamie has a clearer understanding of Jesus’ teachings (the truth of the prophet) then most clergy I’ve met. I look forward to our continuing philosophical discussions ;-) I’m so looking forward to visiting these guys again on Friday.
This morning I met a young artist (videographer) named Alan. He volunteers with a grassroots art centre and is a social activist. We were in the line waiting for laundry services; he is also living at the tent city. He has asked me to participate in one of his projects … I will definitely check it out and see if I can be of some service.
Tonight as one of the other ladies and I were eating dinner an older gentleman stopped by our table. He said, “Can I get you ladies anything?” my response was “A yacht in the Caribbean would be nice.” So he wrote down his email and told me next time I’m in St Kitts I am welcome to stay on the Sea Breeze. How can you not just totally love these people ;-) My friend Candice is right… I do meet great people everywhere I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment