Friday, April 9, 2010

Chance Meetings

April 9, 2010

As I was waiting for the light to change on the corner of Main and Cordova. A young boy (11 or 12) and his Dad were also waiting and I over heard this conversation.
Son - "Dad when are we going to be out of here."
Dad - "Just around the corner and up a couple blocks". pause "Why are you scared?"
Son - "YES"
Upon hearing that I had to interject. "There's nothing to be afraid of. These are just people going about their business like anywhere else. Their business may be a little different then what you are used to seeing, but that's nothing to be afraid of."
The light changed and as we crossed the street I looked to the Dad and continued,"I love this neighbourhood...He asked how long I had been here and I told him two and a half months. We said our goodbyes, they went west...I went east.
I wish I could have spoken to the boy a bit longer, he probably had a few questions. What better place could there be for ending stereotypes and prejudice than with the next generation (before they get all old and set in their ways lol). I wonder if anyone would be interested in letting me speak at grade schools about homelessness? None of the political stuff... just myth busting ;-). Interesting .... very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment