Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Altruism vs. Service

December 8, 2009
I have spent the last few days discussing, o.k. debating the nature and value of service with Chris aka Mr. Baggins. These conversations have brought me back to previous thoughts on the subject of altruism and service. When I was at university we were presented with the idea of altruism as a personality trait. This definition of altruism says it is a person who gives and does for others with no regard for self-interest. I reject even the possibility of such a thing. Serving gives everyone something, even if it is just a warm fuzzy feeling. The person being helped really doesn't care what our motivations are as long as we are giving from the heart. It isn't kindness or service if your gifts are conditional upon something from the receiver. Then it ceases to be a service and becomes barter, again there is a place for such things. “Will work for food” was common in the 1930s… these days many clients at soup kitchens and shelters volunteer for clean-up and food prep. It allows us (clients) to give back and reduces the burden on the facilities. Dropping toonies into a busker’s guitar case isn’t charity, but it is kind, you didn’t solicit that particular service at that time but you paid for it anyway.
Returning to our topic of altruism, if we look at the great humanitarians we see that there is always self interest in the decision for their service. Mother Teresa believed she was acting on God's will for her life, Albert Schweitzer was repaying a debt to… you guessed it, God. What can I say among so many other Supremes, God is the supreme motivator. Again God’s love is unconditional, so don’t be motivated by fear, be motivated by the bible’s example of perfect love. If our individual and collective commitment to give ourselves to helping others is service… then what is altruism? Altruism is an event… a moment in time when a perceived need is met a perceived ability to fulfill that need. In that regard so is heroism… the person to races into the burning building does so with the sincere belief they can successfully return with the rescued party. There is no time in that moment to think about self-interest, any resulting reward was unsolicited…and well deserved. An example of altruism was the dress Flora gave to me in the blog Generosity (which posted last summer)… She was not looking for approval, gratitude or anything else, I ran into her several weeks later and she didn’t even recognize me LOL. She saw I had a need which she believed she could fulfill and took action.
A kind heart or an empathetic nature are the personality traits which allow us to see the needs of others. Possessing those traits does make certain people more inclined to service, both as a career and voluntarily as with Chris and I and countless others. There are so many different populations with so much need right here in Canada that every one of us can find a cause to support, with time, money or both. Youth, elderly, sick, poor, disabled, hospitals even neighbours; do something for someone else (maybe just one thing each day) and you will be amazed what it does you. ;-)

6 comments:

  1. I hear what you are saying and am sure that those situations exist but am saddened by your comment "I reject even the possibility of such a thing."

    I believe it is true that we do receive much more than we give, even when we don't expect anything in return. However when the giving does not expect or desire anything in return it is truly "Altruistic" in nature and such a thing does exist. The fact that "Mother Teresa believed she was acting on God's will for her life" is simply her motivation to do what she did. We are often motivated to do something whether it be by means of a kind heart a spirtual call or a humanitarian nature in no way makes it necessarily a barter type situation. In the case of Mother Theresesa I believe she was simply answering what she belived to be the call in her life - I don't believe that she did what she did to make a deal with God toget a place in heaven. Just as I don't expect anything when I drop a coin or two in a buskers hat. They are not providing me a service or return, their playing simply advertises a need to which I am free to respond to or not.

    For me the gift of time is far more important than money - money can always be replaced, time on the other hand is limited for all of us and cannot be replaced. Salving our hearts or conscience with monetary donations does good and sharing the wealth is needed but among those that I work with the best gift we can give is our time and our friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris
    If you read (or perhaps I didn't articulate my point well) I said that altruism within the definition I was given is not possible. If we change the definition to giving without expectaion of equitable return then yes Altruism abounds. My examples are not a criticism of the humanitarians mentioned...it is an indictment of the narrow definition of altruism when assigned as a peronality trait.
    I do not say that givers are bartering with God or anyone else... I said to place demand on the reciepiant turns what should be a gift into a business deal.
    Those of us who choose to give of our time have no right to be smug of judgemental of those who give money. With out those donation much of the services we provide would not be available... If the drop-in you work at functions with no money at all please share your secret with the rest of the shelter system...I'm sure they would be grateful.
    best regards
    Bonny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so maybe I read it wrong. Hope you don't think I was being judgemental of those who give money, in fact I help raise it and I don't question why they give!. Also have never run into anyone who bartered with a homeless person but maybe I have lived a sheltered life : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the bartering thing, sure you have Chris, usually it takes the form of... I'll help you if you quiting your addiction.... or if you will let me preach at you... or if you "accept Jesus as your Savior". I have actually been in a provence where the government uses the 1st one and the agencies use the last 2.
    have a good day.
    Bonny

    ReplyDelete
  5. are you heading for another sheleter? It seems like a while since you were last in one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for asking... I've been in 5 shelters in 4 smaller cities, over the past 2.5 months it has been an exhasting whirlwind. As of last weekend I visited my family and have today arrived in Calgary to visit my children for the Holidays. I will be reconnecting with my friends in the Calgary population, can hardly wait to see how everyone is doing. These breaks give me a chance to sort and update my note and spreadsheets. After New Years I'll be settling into a much larger center where I will be able to stay for a couple of months (much like my stay in Edmonton) It will be challenging doing this in winter. I will, be blogging about anything interesting regarding the homeless situation that comes up over in the next few weeks. Take care and have a happy holiday season.
    Bonny

    ReplyDelete