Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"Miles to go before I sleep"

July 1,2009
Happy Canada Day to everyone. I'm sitting on my bed at the shelter trying desperately to stay awake until the fireworks tonight. My room is on the third floor facing the river, so if I'm lucky I should be able to see it all from here. Management has extended our 9 p.m. curfew to midnight, but I'm in way too much pain to go out again today. Some of the girls were going to a local park this afternoon, I thought it would be a good bonding experience to go with them. Turned out to be a very long walk (literally miles) and my poor old knees are punishing me for punishing them LOL.
The bottle pickers had a great day today, I guess summer can be very profitable with all the public events. The bottle pickers, binners and panhandlers have their preferred routes. These guys can be very territorial, so I am reluctant to employ any of those options when funds get low, wouldn't want to incur anyone's wrath. Not all homeless people are well adjusted middle-aged ladies. Some of these people are quite unstable, not to mention just plain cranky. To some extent living homeless is like living in the old west...pre law and order. This community does not get or expect the protection of the police; therefore they live by their own code and exact their own justice. I did promise my family and friends I would play safe. So I keep my interactions non-confrontational... besides I am here primarily to observe and learn. I do of coarse extend myself where ever I can... I am employing the same principle I used when I worked at the D.I. Any day I am here should be a little easier and a little more enjoyable than a day when I'm not. My role is simply to spread "the sunshine that is Bonny" LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment