Sunday, June 21, 2009

sometimes a banana is just a banana

June 20, 2009
I have accepted that the place I am staying at has bedbugs... I don't feel them biting, just wake up each morning with half a dozen new itchy little welts on my person. Since there is nothing I can do to remedy the situation I have decided to give them all names and teach them to square dance.
Today was a very good day on many levels, First I slept late then went for brunch at a mission about 10 blocks from where I stay. Every one lined up for about half an hour to get in (just like the DI). We had watery oatmeal, 2 hard boiled eggs, coffee and 2 slices of toast with a side of jam and peanut butter (I mixed my jam into the oatmeal). This is the best part they gave me the most perfect banana ever...it was beautiful absolutely flawless, like that imitation wax fruit. I put it in my bag for tonight, I find I get quite hungry between dinner at 4:30pm and breakfast at 7:30am. There was a young man at my table who's friends was trying to entice him into moving to Calgary next. We talked about how Calgary would just be more of the same...where ever we go we take our demons with us. Turned out he is scheduled to go Pound maker in August. We talked alot about how he got here and how to figure out where he wants to go next. Reminded me of the best of all my reasons for being on the street, do any good I can anytime I can for anyone I can.
After brunch I took what turned out to be a painfully long walk to a park that was having Aboriginal Day events. There were native musician and artists and a story telling tee pee. A tent serving soup and biscuits and another gave me a small bottle of water for the long walk back. On the trip back I detoured to downtown Shoppers to pick up something to treat my bug bites, that took me about 8-10 blocks out of my way. It was very hot and I was in sooo much pain when I finally got to the shelter. Relief is in sight (remember these people have all my Tylenol) I hear crying... looking across the street there is a woman sitting on the curb. I really want to go inside...but I cross the street sit on the curb beside her, she looks at me and I take her in my arms and hold her while she cries it out. then we talked about what is going on and she decides to go to her church for help. I stayed until I couldn't stand the sun's heat or the pain in my knee any longer I gave her what was left of my water and that one perfect banana before I left her.

No comments:

Post a Comment